Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Rocky

We had discussed getting the movie a couple times but without follow through.

This had been a trying year for our family. Logan was 13 and in his first year of middle school. His mom was 48 and in her first acknowledged year of peri-menopause. There were times when Brian’s bug-eyed head turned to view first one of us and then the other; slowly and cautiously.

The school year ended in an academic slump and my son was doing all he could to please his parents while awaiting the dreaded report card to arrive in the mail. His basement ‘lounge’ was clean as a whistle. His demure smiles and loving concerns were sincerely disgusting! After six months of angry frustrations, he and mom were struggling to gain back some ground in their shaken relationship.

A couple of movies were purchased. “Grease” with John Travolta and that Australian sweetheart, Olivia Newton-John. Logan watched in amazement as John T. slicked back his hair and lifted his hip in dance! Not our best success in viewing entertainment together but certainly an opportunity for discussion.

The other movie was the original “Rocky” starring Sylvester Stallone. I must have been in my early 20’s when I first saw it. Now, some 25 years later, I was sewing and glancing up casually as the movie progressed. I had forgotten how this movie along with its powerful, pounding music had gripped the nation. My head lifted as I began to sense the testosterone level rise in the room. The boxers were being introduced into the ring. My son began to pace the floor excitedly; glued to the set, dancing back and forth, renewing the fever that made this movie an instant classic. Logan swung with Rocky, fell with Rocky, and rose to victory with Rocky!

When it was over, he could not contain himself. He had to talk about it. An excited, passionate admiration for this man who made good and beat the odds spewed from his lips and lit up his eyes. He didn’t want the feeling to end. Nor did I. This rebuilding of important family communication, seeing his mind expand and absorb was invigorating for us both. And before I knew it my own mind expanded and absorbed the fact that even though some of the old ground seemed worn and tried, this new gournd sure was fresh and exciting.

Written By Teri Lee
June, 2003

No comments:

B&T Sunshine Tour 2022 - Day 3 & 4

I had to steal another picture from the web ℅ The Luxury Columnist because the day was actually rather bleak and rain. The Biltmore was cons...